The Turbo Series that almost was…

… not sure how almost it was, but figured I’d try that click-bait, catchy, overly dramatic title. But really, this is about a Turbo series that could have seen the light of the day at the hands of Evan Skolnick!

This came about because I’d asked on the New Warriors Facebook Group (Note: You won’t be able to see the post unless you’re a member – so come join us!)

Which member – or former member – of the New Warriors do you wish could have their own 12 issue limited series (that hasn’t already had an at LEAST 4 issue limited series – so this rules out: Night Thrasher, Nova, Firestar, Justice and Speedball, off the top of my head)…?

And quite a few people voiced an interest in Turbo. And I feel absolutely blessed that Evan (and Fabian) are both members of the group – and have engaged with us on there! Well, Evan, seeing so many responses to the interest in Turbo said…

It sure warms my heart to see all these votes for a TURBO limited series! Maybe I should dust off that 1989 proposal. I’m sure it’s around here somewhere…

– Evan Skolnick

A week later, Evan came back with something special (and I ensured to get his permission to post it here)…

You can see a tease of the two characters right there, right?

Well, guess what – you don’t need to strain your eyes…

Because here it is…

And now you’re thinking – that freaking LOOKS AMAZING… and you can see some text behind the characters, right? Wondering what it says?

No need to try and strain your eyes…

Who else wants to see this? Maybe a story told in the past, when they first got the Torpedo outfit? Since some of this got fleshed out in New Warriors…

I had to pick up my jaw when I saw this extra piece he posted… this art… is remarkable…

So when it came up asking how his plot was similar to what Fabian used in New Warriors…

Yes, the first version of this proposal was in 1989. But as you know, it dragged on for years, via different angles and through multiple proposals.

Eventually, Fabian kindly asked our permission to introduce Turbo in the pages of NEW WARRIORS — it was his idea. The cover story for this request was that he wanted to expand the roster in the eventual hopes of spinning off another title. But I suspect Fabian was really just being his usual nice guy who wants to help end his friends’ prolonged suffering.

– Evan Skolnick

To which Fabian replied (jokingly – can I mention how blessed I feel to have them both on the group?!?) –

IT WAS NOT THAT AT ALL! I JUST KNEW THAT IF I USED TURBO IN THE WARRIORS EVERYONE WOULD THINK IT WAS MY IDEA! MINE! ALL MINE I TELL YOU!!!

~ Fabian Nicieza

So there you go! Totally worth clicking the clicky-baity title, am I right?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.